Wednesday, January 23, 2008

mimosa


Mimosa: a unique and enchanting store on Heber City's Main Street. If you haven't been in...don't miss out, for there is a "for sale" sign out front and Ron and Linda's beautiful shop won't be there forever. If you do go for the first time, make sure to look for the child's boot that was found concealed within the wall of the upstairs southern bedroom. There is an article on the wall that describes the old custom and the story of it's discovery.

When we first moved to Heber I fell in love with the old home that the Peelemans had recently renovated. It was just down the street from Carl's parent's home and Carsten and I would take morning walks to take in it's charm. I remember the first time I went in. There was Ron, with a casual and friendly greeting. The home has a wonderful ambiance; the gifts, linens, toys: nothing easily obtained in these parts. I remember how excited I was to find lavendar, herbes de provence, and handblocked linens. Heber didn't seem so far from the world to me that day.

Not much later I found myself working there from time to time. Carsten and I shared many wonderful days there together: weeding in the yard, sweeping and dusting: all with Carsten on my back. Later he would go to Grandma's or to his cousin's, and I would have time to myself. I enjoyed visiting with customers who were just as enamored with the shop's treasures as I was. We would retell our journeys 'round the world and what brought us to this beautiful valley.

Ron and Linda have traveled all over the backroads of the world to find many of these treasures. Their main business that will not change when the home sells is called European Expressions. For more information and to see some of their products go to:
http://www.europeanexpressions.com/

Although I will be truly sad when Mimosa is sold, Heber is a better place because of Ron and Linda. They have set a standard for shops in town and have given many small businesses hope. Thank you to Ron and Linda for your kindness and willingness to share the cultural beauties of our world in a rural piece of heaven. May you continue to find happiness and sucess as you share your talents and experiences.

No comments: