Thursday, July 3, 2008

plein air paradise '08


Entering an outdoor painting contest 2 weeks after your baby is born is not always the most convenient, nor the smartest idea...but I would be disappointed to not participate for the third year in a row. :) I was very sick during the competition and felt overjoyed to get to enter one piece at all!
The American Dream is the title of my plein air piece. My husband came up with the title. Not only are there patriotic colors used, but the piece is about how the American Dream involves having your own piece of earth…and doing whatever you wish with it. The scene can be seen from our backyard. The previous owners had built a large hill out back, supposedly, to mask the back neighbor’s “junk” that they had rather not see. The shed, trailer, and pipes in my painting are all still visible from our back deck. There were a few other items that I chose not to paint because the painting was “busy” enough. One of the rusty items, I don’t even know what it is, and the other is a partially torn apart motorcycle. So there is my entry. The exhibit on display is mostly of nice pictorial scenes, perfect views, for the most part. And then you have my junk painting…

No comments: